laygear repairs

To: "healeys" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: laygear repairs
From: "James Shope" <healeymanjim@JoiMail.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 19:17:40 -0800
after my disaster of the springs and balls of the 3/4 gears going in every
direction, i had to take my sideshift apart. since i had taken one apart a few
weeks ago it was all fresh. took about 30 minutes total to take apart, and
about 10 minutes to get all those springs and balls lined up and locked in.
waiting on new thrust washers since i have it apart and no sense putting the
old ones back in.  should not take more than 30 minutes since i took someones
advice and got a wooden dowel and cut it to fit the laygear and will push the
layshaft in and the dowel out.  GREAT IDEA!!  i cleaned both outside and
inside, which took the most time, and plan to paint it. i do admit that the
first time i took a bj8 trans apart and had to drive that endplate out of
there, it was intimidating.   healeymanjim