RE: octane rating

To: "'Breda O'Sullivan'" <conbreda@eircom.net>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: octane rating
From: "Ron Davies" <rdavies1@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2006 07:49:33 -0800
I use premium and always have. I also add the lead substitute like the PO
did.  Since it's not my daily driver the cost difference is miniscule. If
you hear "pinging" under load try the higher octane. If you don't, stay with
regular. That's what I've always been told.
Ron
67 BJ8

Having searched numerous reference books to no avail,

Can somebody please tell me what octane rating was the C series engine
designed to run on?.

Does anyone have experience of using octane boosters, currently I get 95
octane at the pumps.

What rating is this engine happiest with?

Thanks.