Heatshields Revisited

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Heatshields Revisited
From: "Mark and Kathy" <mgtrcars@galaxyinternet.net>
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2006 16:26:57 -0500
As I was arm deep in silica dust from the heatshields  that I am fabricating
(Hardi Backerboard), in the back of my mind I am thinking whether or not these
things really do any good.  I can't think of any other LBC that has these
shields under the hood.  Not in any Mgs or Trs that I have seen .   As long as
the firewall holes and trany tunnels are buttoned up tight isn't that  enough
to keep the heat down as much as can be expected.

These panels almost seem to be an esthetic thing (concourse) more than an
actual heat retardant. So many gaps and voids around the panels its hard to
believe they do anything.    Wonder how they originally tested the
effectiveness of these things.

Anybody running without these panels?   What's it like?

Mark