Online Scams

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Online Scams
From: Editorgary@aol.com
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 16:16:55 EDT
In a message dated 4/6/06 9:24:46 AM, owner-healeys-digest@autox.team.net
writes:

> Check the respond button on an official email from a buyer/seller and
> remember what it says. It needs to say something like
> http://contact.ebay.com/ws/.......a whole long line here including the
> auction item number.

Ain't just eBay -- I've gotten four or five very official looking emails in
the past month from "ChaseMorgan" suggesting various things, such as an
overseas use of my credit card, a possible invasion of the password system
(Which
would of course require me to enter my password in order to change it), and an
attempt to cash a check against my account, and telling me that in order to
deal
with the situation , it was essential that I respond immediately, and respond
to each of the queries, otherwise my account would be suspended "for my own
protection." There was even a warning at the bottom to be careful about
internet fraud and never to respond to any inquiries except official ones. In
each
case, when I checked where the reply would have gone, it wasn't anything to do
with Chase. I forwarded it to their security department, which confirmed the
attempted fraud. In fact, they told me that they NEVER request information via
email, but always use a phone call or registered letter, and a human to human
interaction.

Cheers
Gary