RE: Bad Sound 3

To: "'Ned Smith'" <smithn00@kitepilot.net>,
Subject: RE: Bad Sound 3
From: "Michael Salter" <msalter@precisionsportscar.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 20:19:35 -0400
Sorry Ned,
That is not an option. The pistons won't come out from below; they don't
clear the block casting.
You have to remove the head to remove a piston.
As I said previously, your next option, presuming that you don't have a
borescope, is probably to remove the head.
It sounds to me as though you have a piston starting to break up; probably
the top ring is coming up through the top land. Just a guess but based upon
some experience.
Sometimes you can damage like this by carefully positioning the piston and
then peering in through the spark plug hole with a good flashlight.
I certainly would not recommend running the engine for too long, broken ring
bits can really score a bore badly.

Michael Salter
www.precisionsportscar.com