Re: SU carb screws

To: "Allen C Miller, Jr." <acmiller@mhcable.com>
Subject: Re: SU carb screws
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 06:53:18 -0700
Allen,

FWIW, I can't see any logic using lock washers, especially the split
type, on aluminum.  Not only
do the sharp ends of the washer dig into the Al, but in so doing it
relieves the spring force, which
is the only conceivable benefit--besides the "gouging" effect--to begin
with.  The star type aren't
much better.

Carroll Smith, the late fastener guru ("Screw to Win"), did not like
lock washers of any sort.

bs