Paint v Powder Coat

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Paint v Powder Coat
From: "Quinn, Patrick" <Patrick.Quinn@det.nsw.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 09:54:33 +1000
G'day

The Healey chassis is finally stripped bare and it's time to remove the
old paint and repaint it.

Over the last few days I have been thinking of the virtues of paint
verses that of powder coating. When I restored the BN3 back in the 1980s
I painted the chassis in two-pack paint and while it's been quite prone
to chipping I am still happy with the result.

For those who don't know, a Healey chassis is very different to an
Austin-Healey chassis and does not contain any of the large subframes.
It consists of mainly top hat section chassis rails, a shallow
subsection at the rear and a small subframe at the front for the
suspension.

As far as I know all Healey chassis were finished in a semi-gloss black.

So the purpose of this missive is to garner opinion as to the virtues of
two-pack paint against powder coating. I would appreciate your responses
as to experiences.

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn
Sydney, Australia