Timing

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Timing
From: PG <britishcars@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 15:53:44 -0700
Ok..here is where I state the obvious..

I put my strobe light on the car and find something odd.

The timing at 600 rpm is 25 degrees (with vacuum attached).  So, I figured I
would see if the full advance goes to 35 degrees at 3000 rpm...   At 3000
rpm there is no change in advance..what-so-ever...still 25 degrees.

So, I put the timing light on at 600 rpm and pull the vacuum off.no change
again..still 25 degrees.   I figured it should have dropped 5 degrees (am I
correct on this?).

The vacuum diaphragm does hold a vacuum..(basically I suck on the air intake
lead and see if the vacuum holds on my tongue...very technical procedure).

So the only thing I can think of is that the centrifical is not
working.perhaps gummed up after 40 years.

Any ideas welcome

By the way, there is no pinging or knocking.

Thanks

Paul