Clutch Problems

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Clutch Problems
From: "Derek Job" <djjob@noos.fr>
Date: Sat, 6 May 2006 19:54:11 +0100
I think my clutch is developing a problem. I say think because its one
of those gradual things where you're not sure if you're imagining it or
the car has always been like that.

My impression now is that the clutch is engaging later in its travel
than before. When driving in Paris recently and changing quickly from
2nd to 3rd under acceleration I thought I had missed a gear as the
engine revved noisily, (very embarrassing!!) the car was in gear so I
then thought Id bust the clutch. I very gingerly drove it home. The
clutch continued to work. I've taken it out a couple of times since to
try and identify if there really is a problem. It appears to work
normally most of the time albeit with the engagement near the end of its
travel. On occasions I think (imagine) it seems to be worse, almost
feeling like its not engaging momentarily.

The clutch was replaced less than 7000 miles ago together with the
release bearing and bushes and the pressure plate was machined.

I feel the problem must be in the hydraulics but I don't detect any loss
of fluid.

The rubber hose to the slave seems ok but maybe it's
expanding/collapsing. As the clutch is not adjustable what else is
there?

Can the master cylinder be malfunctioning slightly even with no loss of
fluid?

Is it worth starting by overhauling the master cylinder and replacing
the hose to the slave anyway?

How long is that hose suppose to be? Mine has a bend in it which makes
it hang down slightly below the frame which doesn't seem right and which
I don't like.

Also when I brake and my foot is resting on the clutch pedal I'm sure I
sometimes feel the latter move slightly, is that possible/normal. They
share a reservoir.

Thanks in advance

DerekJ
www.healeysix.net