RE: Idle problem

To: "'Walton Curl'" <wcurl@mail.mcg.edu>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Idle problem
From: "Michael Salter" <msalter@precisionsportscar.com>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 11:51:29 -0400
Hi Walt,
I would suspect that your problem is caused by either an air leak into the
manifold at the carb mount or a loose or improperly centered throttle plate
(butterfly).
You can often detect a manifold leak using an oxy/acetylene torch. You turn
on a little acetylene and pass the torch tip around all the joints of the
manifold with the engine idling; if the engine speed shows a marked increase
with the torch in one place that is where the leak is.
If the throttle plate is loose "flicking" the throttle closed sometimes will
cause it to find center but, if the screws have been tightened and locked
with the plate in the wrong position, you will have to remove the carb and
check and correct it.

Michael Salter
www.precisionsportscar.com