RE: Take the texas kooler test. (perform at your own risk)

To: "Healeys" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Take the texas kooler test. (perform at your own risk)
From: "BJ8Healeys" <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 14:22:18 -0700
Don, I have listened to the arguments pro and con about the Texas Kooler for
the last several days, and I've heard the same arguments on the list before.
I usually try to stay out of these disagreements because they seem to
degenerate into personal rancor in a hurry, unfortunately.

However, I just took your test, and the blades on my Kooler do not move
perceptibly fore or aft at any engine speed.  You and Alan may just have got
some Koolers from a bad lot if your blades flex enough to see it.

I installed the Kooler on my BJ8 in November, 2000 (35,000 miles ago) and
have never had a problem with it.  The multiblade metal fans I used before
all made an objectionable whine that the Kooler doesn't have.

When I installed the Kooler, I did find that it was hitting the radiator
header tank but then I also discovered that I had neglected to remove a
spacer on the waterpump shaft.  I don't know if this was a part of the stock
fan installation or one of the multiblade fans I used, but once I removed it
I had at least 1/2" clearance to the header tank.  It works for me, and I am
happy with it.  YMMV.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry