Ireland with an overdrive and no temperature gauge.

To: "'Healeys@Autox. Team. Net'" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Ireland with an overdrive and no temperature gauge.
From: "Simon Lachlan" <simon.lachlan@homecall.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2006 17:53:48 +0100
Hi,
I made it over to Ireland last Saturday &, just as importantly, I made it
back. Did about 1,200 miles. Engine never missed a beat, though I had to
mess with the carbs (post their being off for new 6 branch exhaust).
Ireland is as nice as ever, though the signs(?!!**) and one way systems in
Dublin are execrable. However that is true of many capital cities and
doesn't detract from the rest of the country. I come from North Antrim so
went to old haunts like Giant's Causeway etcetc. Excellent weather.no rain,
remarkable.
So, thanks to all who advised re 6 branch exhausts and tape on headers etc.
Thanks also to those who answered re. the overdrive problem. I went with my
initial diagnosis as was pretty sure of myself. Pride was seemingly coming
before a fall when the new one didn't cure the problem. But I stuck to it
and rang up the supplier, AH Spares, and said "Oi, this thing is nbg". They
sent another one at once, even running it down to the post so I'd get it the
next day. It arrived on the Saturday, went in at once and fixed the problem.
So a well deserved plug for AH Spares, something I don't normally do. They
deserved it..no argument, just "Oh, we'll swap it ASAP."
Now.
It was very hot yesterday and I was stuck in a jam south of Dublin for ages.
The temp gauge began to give me the willies..going off the gauge and then
back to about 212. It usually runs comparatively cool, with a new modern
cored rad etcetc. The engine seemed cool enough.no steam, no smell, no
overflow. So, though I drove the scenic route to avoid the jams, through the
Wicklow mountains, overheating wasn't an issue. So, got home and found, this
morning, that temperature read about 200 after about 6 hours cooling off. So
fickle finger of fate is pointing at the gauge big time. Took car out to a
small local show and the needle moved up.. Seems to me that it's starting in
the wrong place, but maybe moving by about the right amount.
Maybe the needle is/was a tad loose?? Anyone been down that one?
Maybe there's a bubble in that pipe? Anyone had that?
Maybe neither of the above, but it's x, y or z?
Wretched thing is only about a year from a rebuild!
Any ideas?
Thanks,

Simon Lachlan
Comfort House