Re: Ideas Invited- smoke only upon startup

To: Tom Cooper <tntcoop@earthlink.net>,
Subject: Re: Ideas Invited- smoke only upon startup
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 06:25:28 -0700
R.,

If the smoke is blue, oil is getting into the top end.  Most likely your
valve guide seals are leaking.
Have someone follow you in another car, and see if you get a puff of
blue smoke when you
accelerate from a stop, or when you shift (especially after coasting in
gear).  The original type
seals aren't the greatest ... some vendors sell single spring valve
springs that allow fitment of a
more robust seal.

If the smoke is white, it's probably coolant (not good), or possibly
brake fluid (not too good,
either).

My car's blue-smoking diminshed considerably after I installed a PCV valve.

bs

R. Cobb wrote:

> My BJ8 runs well under all conditions.  It has about 2500 miles on a
> professional rebuild of the engine and carbs.
>
> I notice that if the car is parked for more than 5-10 minutes, upon
> restarting, there is a small ball of smoke that comes briefly from the
> tailpipes.
>
> Addressing this phenomenon solo, I haven't been able to be at the
> tailpipe at startup to smell the exhaust for oil or gas fumes.  Any
> suggestions or thoughts as to diagnostics or corrections?
>
> Thanks in advance.
> R. Cobb

67 Austin-Healey 3000             '56 Austin-Healey 100M