Re: BN2 vapor lock question / conundrum

To: "Steve B. Gerow" <steveg@abrazosdata.com>
Subject: Re: BN2 vapor lock question / conundrum
From: Dave & M <rusd@velocitus.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 11:33:12 -0700
Hi Steve,

I have never experienced signs of vapor lock on a very similar car. I
even have a metal can filter in the vertical pipe section.

In general, fuel that is under pressure, such as from the fuel pump
forward, is harder to vaporize & thus vapor lock.

Vapor lock symptoms are sometimes caused by a tiny leak on the suction
side of the pump. This could be at the pump inlet connection, at the
tank connection, or even in the internal tank down tube. The leak allows
air to be drawn into the pump but is small enough that fuel does not
leak out. Another possibility is that the pump itself is failing when it
gets hot.

Blocked or partially blocked carb float bowl vents could also cause a
similar problem.

When the car exhibits the symptoms, crack a fuel connection at a carb &
see if fuel or vapor is coming out, or neither.

Regards,
Dave Russell
BN2