RE: Longbridge BN4 Fuel tank

To: "'Derek Job'" <djjob@noos.fr>, <Healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Longbridge BN4 Fuel tank
From: "Michael Salter" <msalter@precisionsportscar.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 10:07:13 -0400
Hi Derek,
Although I don't own such a car I have restored a couple and am familiar
with what you are talking about.
>From memory the line to tank connection is indeed different from the later
cars. Essentially a union with a female internal thread is welded (braised)
into the tank and its upper surface is almost level with the upper surface
of the tank. i.e. the union is almost entirely within the tank. If I
remember correctly there is just a rim sticking about 1/8" above the tank
surface.
The fuel line has a bend in it to turn it down after it passes through a
grommet in the back wall of the trunk and it has a male threaded nut on it
much like a bigger version of the ones on the end of brake lines. This nut
threads directly into the union in the tank.
As we were unable to find a replacement tank for one of the cars we did I
converted it to the later system. In so doing I discovered that the position
of the hole in the trunk wall was different for these cars.
I would suspect the change was made by the factory in the interests of
simplifying the installation of the tank. As you can imagine there has to be
sufficient vertical movement of the fuel line available to allow it to be
positioned into the union in the tank and then tightened down.

Michael Salter
www.precisionsportscar.com