Timing Chain Installation

To: "Austin-Healey List" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Timing Chain Installation
From: "Ned Smith" <smithn00@kitepilot.net>
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2006 11:16:18 -0400
I am installing a new timing chain this morning. The chain has no marks on
the links so I am making my own. I laid the chain on the bench in a circular
way and picked a link at the top of the circle and marked it with a white
metal marker. I counted clockwise 15 links including the first marked link
and made another mark on the link. I set the sprockets in the circle in
approximately the same orientation they would have on the engine and placed
the dimpled teeth in the marked links. Then I carried this assembly to the
engine and pressed the sprockets onto the crankshaft and cam shaft so the
keys fit in the keyways. Marked links and dimpled teeth are still lined up.

I put a wrench on the crankshaft nut and started rotating clockwise. The
marks quickly went out of alignment and didn't line up again for 74 (I may
have lost proper count) revolutions.

Does that sound right to you?

Your input is greatly appreciated,

Ned Smith