Re: Healey Marque Cover

To: "John Soderling" <jsoderling@astound.net>,
Subject: Re: Healey Marque Cover
From: "Rick Neves _._" <56BN2_06@GenomicTechnologies.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 10:32:06 -0400
Hey John,

As Alex mentioned, you need to pan the camera to get moving objects to be
clear. One thing I might add is that with digital cameras its hard to time
when the shutter will actually open, its not instantaneous (When you click
the button) as with film cameras. That delay happens as the digital camera
is measuring the exposure and that can be problematic as you move the camera
from a dark spot , on the track to a lighter area. What I suggest is that
you pick the point where you want to snap the shot, say, right in front of
you perpendicular to the track. This is also the point at which the vehicle
is moving the fastest across your viewpoint and you will get the most
blurred background. Most digital cameras have a means by where you can
pre-select the exposure setting by partially depressing the exposure button.
Do this in the spot where you want to take the photo. Then you can point the
camera up the track, while holding the button partially depressed,  toward
your target vehicle and follow it down the track. When it approaches the
point where you want to take the photo, depress the exposure button all the
way. The delay should be a bit shorter, because the exposure settings were
pre-determined. Continue to follow the vehicle down past the point where you
think you took the shot because the camera might still be a bit slow to
react. The nice thing about digital cameras is that you can see the final
shot on the display and determine if you've missed the mark. Then you can
adjust the timing of when you depress the button all the way, essentially
leading the car a bit more if needed.

I took a bunch of shots this way with a really slow digital camera at Lime
Rock last year and I got some cool pictures. You can check them out at
www.rickneves.com/LimeRockRacing

I put all my pics up there so you can see some bad attempts as well.
Sincerely

Rick Neves
http://www.RickNeves.com