Re: Rebuild Spreadsheet

To: "healeys" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rebuild Spreadsheet
From: "Richard Bittmann" <edmyed@harbornet.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2006 00:53:17 -0700
Ned, David & All,

OK.  Since it's time for true confessions.

I built a spread sheet tracking Date, Item, Purchased from Whom, Amount,
Method of Purchase (cash, check, visa, gas card) and State Sales Tax (for IRS
deduction) but no mention of the time spent obtaining parts and doing the
actual restoration work.

I built another spread sheet when I started the project which compared costs
from several suppliers side by side of everything I thought I needed, so I
could find the most competitive prices (not accounting for quality which can
vary wildly).  When I finished that spreadsheet, I informed my wife that the
project would cost $28,000 or so.   That didn't sound too bad so we forged
ahead.

I've kept the cost spreadsheet up meticulously.  Today, 3 years into the
project, the cost for a complete concours restoration is double my first
estimate.  Tension in the family (my wife - the boys are 35 & 39 and are too
smart to say anything on this subject) is high. She is working harder than
ever and I've never worked less (in our business that is).  I have a huge debt
to her to overcome.  To top it off, she is going with me to Healey Rendevous
Nelson 2006 (it think to put the icing on the debt).

I've invested my time, our money and have put much at risk for this project
and it could cost me for the rest of my life!  Let's hope it was all worth
it!

Richard Bittmann BJ7 Tacoma  (future slave)