Re: Le Mans Classic - Photos

To: cleona44@hotmail.com, djjob@noos.fr, Healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Le Mans Classic - Photos
From: OldHealeys@aol.com
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 09:59:54 EDT
The photos that Derek put up on the net certainly all our classic...   What
is missing is the sound of those cars.  It was utterly  fantastic!

The paddock area was immense, and provided a unique  area for 41 different
clubs.  What was not known, was that Meguair's was  going around and checking
the quality of the cars, the quality of the food, the  hospitality of the
people
involved in the club area.  On Sunday afternoon  the Dutch Healey club was
awarded the trophy for " The Best Club  Organization".

I had driven down from Holland with the Dutch club (in a newly restored BJ8
with a John Chatham prepared engine).  Arriving at the Le Mans food and  drink
were provided by the club in a large tent located in the paddock.  As  time
went on more and more Healey's arrived until the paddock had over 100  cars.  A
large sign in the tent proclaimed that you had to be there at 9  a.m. in
order to drive the track!!

By 9 a.m. on Saturday morning they were well over 150 cars in the parking
area ready to go out onto the track.  There was no speed limit!  You  were
allowed to drive the full Le Mans circuit.  Passing and being passed  was a
part of
the game.  The club was allowed to full circuits and then we  returned to the
paddock area.  The smiles and conversation made the entire  trip worthwhile.

At 4 p.m. the traditional Le Mans's start occurred.  Drivers on one  side of
the track running across, jumping into their cars, and tearing off down  the
straight toward the Dunlop Bridge.  The grid consisted of over 400  racecourse
divided into different grids depending on their age and  displacement.  The
Healey's ran in grid 2 and 3, with a 100S  being  the fastest Healey in grid 2.
In grid three to Dutch Healey's finished the  race within 10 feet of each
other and were the fastest Healey's on the  track.

In car video from the fastest Dutch car will be shown at rendezvous in
Nelson British Columbia.

The next running of "Classic Le Man's will occur in 2008...  Make your  plans
now and don't miss it.

Bill Emerson