Re: The elusive Healey Ice Blue

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: The elusive Healey Ice Blue
From: "Ron Fine" <RonFineEsq@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 08:56:55 -0700
Good Luck on your search for Healey Ice Blue paint.  I spent the better part
of two years searching for a Healey Ice Blue paint to match the original
paint I found on the hidden parts of my BN7.  I looked at dozens of photos
on the computer and in books.  I went to many car shows and took dozens of
photos myself.  One thing I learned was that photos just don't help much
because there is such a wide range of color variance in the reproduction
process of the photo.  I purchased 8 or 10 custom mixed samples of various
formula of Healey Ice Blue from different paint stores and sprayed them on
sample cards.  They always looked different from the photos.  I even
purchased a full gallon of paint from R&R but was disappointed with the
color. ( I still have it if you are interested)   In the end, I found a
painter that custom mixed a color to my liking and it looks great.  I think
it closely matches the original color well but not perfectly.  The other
lesson is that the factory paint was never consistent.  Different painters
applied it differently and got different results.  Different batches of
paint came from the paint manufacturer on different days.  Everyone I spoke
to about the "Healey Ice Blue" seemed to have a different idea what it
should look like.  In the end, I just painted with a color that I liked and
I think looks similar to what was on my car originally.  It drove me nuts
until I accepted what I could not change.
Ron