RE: PROVPAT

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: PROVPAT
From: Wwycoffbn7@aol.com
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 00:38:20 EDT
Listers,

Thanks for all the responses to my PROVPAT question.

The input has been consistent that "PROVPAT" means Provisional  Patent.  My
searches in the patent site of Great Britain did not show  anything, so I
wanted to ask.

Since the lettering is set vertically, rough and the spacing is a bit
irregular, it is a hard call to say that there is a space or no space  between
the
PROV and the PAT.  It does not look like an  identifiable space to me.

Sorry to be a bit behind, earlier, Ned asked:

"At the risk of being called rude, I humbly ask, "What are pot  jacks?""

The Pot jacks are also called Cone jacks.  They are Shelley LJ  225 jacks
that employ an interesting ratcheted, screw mechanism.   These jacks started to
be used about June, 1960 and continued through the end of  production.

The Cone jack name is easy to identify with as they are clearly an inverted
cone shape with the large base end being about 4.5 inches in diameter.  Now
the Pot jack name seems to relate to common styles of ink pots that were used
in  earlier times for dipping pens and quills, just a little bit larger. Many
ink pots are round and have a larger base to resist being tipped over.  Of
course the round, cast shape may just link to cooking pots.   But because the
jack looks so much like an ink pot to me, my bet is that it has  its roots
there.
 The folks who developed the jack would have been  quite familiar with ink
pots.

Before the Pot/Cone jacks, several King Dick and Shelley brand,  gear-driven
screw jacks came with the cars.  It seems that not many stayed  with the cars.

Best Regards,

Bill