Re: BJ8 dash question

To: "Edwin Harris" <mail@edwinharris.net>
Subject: Re: BJ8 dash question
From: "Alan Seigrist Blue 100" <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 10:02:26 +0800
Edwin -

Take the switches out of the fascia first, that is very easy.  You don't
have to disconnect them.

The Centre fascia panel is fixed to the back of the wood dash pieces by
screws.  You can remove it with the dash in place, but you have to be a bit
of a contortionist and have some special small screwdrivers.  I wouldn't do
it this way unless you know what you are doing.

It is actually much easier to remove the whole dash as one piece and then
remove the center fascia piece afterwards.

First remove the centre radio console from the car.

Next remove the nuts/bolts on the underside of the far sides of the dash
(that connects the dash to the metal kick panels).

Next disconnect the choke cable from the choke cable union.  This union is
located in the center of the firewall/bulkhead in the engine compartment.

Next remove the screws holding the back of the glovebox to the
heater/ventilation box beam in the footwell.

Finally you will have to remove two nuts which hold the top of the dash on
each side to the underside of the dashboard.  One of these nuts is
accessible from the glovebox.  Open the glove box door and feel around the
topside gap between the glove box and the dash, There should be a small hole
around the middle somewhere.  Use a small spanner (5/16" maybe?) to undo the
nut which is located in the middle of that hole.

The other nut is located in the "mirror" location on the driver's side of
the dash.  Remove the tach and speedo guages first, it will be easier to get
access to that nut.

Once all of this is done, you can lift the dash out partially and get access
to the back of the center fascia panel, remove the screws and presto!  You
can't lift the dash totally out of the car unless you remove the temperature
sensor from the motor.

It's not an easy job but if you keep focused you can get it out in about an
hour.

Good Luck!

Alan

'53 BN1