Re: Stator Tube Replacement

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Stator Tube Replacement
From: "Allen C Miller, Jr." <acmiller@mhcable.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 06:22:30 -0400
When I dealt with a conversion from fixed to adjustable to accommodate a
vintage wood wheel, I worked on both from within the driver compartment with
no problem.

One consideration is if you are only replacing the short piece of an
adjustable unit, I strongly recommend removing the long tube and running
sandpaper wrapped around a dowel up the bore on the steering box end. I ran
into great difficulties pulling the replacement harness due corrosion on the
inside bore. I have bought a spare tubes and found all of them are corroded
on the inside where the tube passes through the steering box olive nut.

Also, while you can get the wires down the bore with simply pushing, it is
simplified by inserting a single wire through and taping the staggered ends
to the steering wheel side of the wire. Learned this trick from an
electrician pulling wires through a conduit.

Allen Miller