BJ8 carbs

To: Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: BJ8 carbs
From: "P.J.Aeckerlin" <j.aeckerlin@tiscali.nl>
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 22:25:47 +0200
Friends,
I hope to put the engine in my car for the first time in a few weeks'
time. To see whether I've got all bits and pieces  I'm trying to fit the
carbs and air cleaners which causes me a few headaches.  I have a
handful of shafts, levers, springs and the like and it seems that all
those are necessary to get the carbs operating properly. My problem is
that I don't know what has to go where. I have a couple of pictures,
both via Internet and from books, but  it's Sod's law: no pictures of
the points where I have problems. Therefore my request to owners of BJ8
phase 2: if you do have pictures showing the arrangement of the carbs
and especially of the way they are actuated, please send them to me.
I'll be very grateful.
Another puzzle is created by the Mech Service Parts List. Plate D9 shows
as item 3 a Shaft - carburettor coupling. Two variations: 3 is for cars
from 17551 to 25314, 3A is for cars from 25314 onwards. BUT: there is
only one picture, of item 3. No picture of item 3A. And I definitely
have a thing which looks very much like item 3, but my car is 29432! Can
anybody tell me what 3A looks like?
Finally: air cleaners. There should only be a 'washer - joint - cleaner
to carburettor'  (AHB6019) used, but the studs on the cleaners are so
long  that I could easily pack twenty joints between the carb and the
cleaner. Do I have the wrong type of air cleaner?
Many thanks in advance, as usual.
Jack Aeckerlin, The Netherlands
1964 BJ8 29432 slowly reaching maturity.