"Vintage Sports Car Rides"

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: "Vintage Sports Car Rides"
From: "Reid Trummel" <editor_reid@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 17:17:30 +0000
Hi team,

Here's an idea that might be of use and interest to those of you involved in
your local AH club...

Over the past weekend, three friends and I gave "vintage sports car rides"
to people who had won such in an auction held at a professional organization
meeting.  The spouse of one of us vintage sports car owners is a member of
the professional organization, and they were raising funds via an auction.

The four people who won the auction took turns riding in an original (real!)
AC Cobra 289, a 1959 Alfa Romeo Guilietta Spider, an MGB, and my Healey 100.
  None of them seemed to have any knowledge of what any of these cars were
-- so I took the opportunity of having a captive audience to tell them about
the Healey 100, beginning with the tale of a Cornishman who started a
car-making company after the war...

We met at the office of one of our group, then toured on scenic roads to an
upscale lodge (Skamania Lodge, in Washington state)  where we had lunch
(with the tab picked up from the auction proceeds), then toured back via
different scenic roads, had a drink at a local watering hole, and bid
farewell.  Each of the four auction winners (actually there were two
couples) got to ride in each of the four cars.  It made a good fund-raiser
for the professional organization, and it offered an opportunity to spread
the word a bit about our favorite marque.

Maybe you know of some group, organization, club, team, school, etc., where
a "vintage sports car ride" would be a good fund-raiser as an auction item
or a raffle prize, in addition to being a chance to provide some exposure
among "civilians" to our cars.

Cheers,
Reid

Reid Trummel
Editor, Healey Marque
Published by the Austin-Healey Club of America