Temperature Gauge Question

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Temperature Gauge Question
From: "BRUCE HARDING" <bkharding@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 21:53:51 -0700
Well it's been 8 months since I posted my last question on the forum... I
had asked about detailing the engine compartment.  I ended up restoring the
entire car.... can you say shipwright's disease?  I'll get some pictures
posted soon but I'm extremely happy.  This weekend it makes it's 1st show!
Onto my question...the temperature gauge in the car was a rebuilt one from
Moss when I purchased the car last October.  It worked for awhile but after
some time it went berserk and the dial ended up in the oil pressure area.  I
tested the engine temp with an infra red temp sensor and it read 176-182.  I
called the previous owner and he took the gauge (which we new) and sent it
back to Moss who replaced it.  Well the 'new' one is doing the same thing.
It seems to work OK until I let the car idle for awhile.  The gauge is the
capillary tube type... the tube is just barely long enough to reach.  Any
ideas?  I have a feeling that if I test it in a pot of hot water it'll be
OK...guess I need to do that but any suggestions would be great...of course
the last time I got suggestions I ended up doing a major project:-)

Thanks,
Bruce Harding
61 BT7