Re: BJ8 missing at high revs

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: BJ8 missing at high revs
From: John Miller <healeys@n4vu.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2006 04:35:55 -0400
Christoph Schumann wrote:
> after several years, I am back on the list having recently purchased a
> fully restored Mk III Phase 1. The work carried out on the car shows
> great attention to detail. However, one problem needs to be sorted: When
> accelerating hard and revving high, the engine seems to be missing.
> Ignition, timing, plugs, valves, compression have been checked, the
> carbs (HD8) needed some work (new needles, new damper springs, new jet
> bearing kits).
>
> Any suggestions are welcome!

Congratulations on your new ride!  I loved my Phase 1.

When you say the plugs were checked, do you mean they were visually
inspected or replaced?  If they weren't replaced, get a new set and see
if the problem goes away.  If so, I can shed a bit more light on what's
happening; if not, you've got a spare set of plugs.

As you probably know, some rotors have been shown to be leaky enough to
fail partially.

Also, if your plug wires are the carbon kind, rather than solid copper,
they might be suspect, as well.

Keep us updated!
--
John Miller