Re: Factory Workshop Manual Mystery

To: Patton Dickson <57healey@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Factory Workshop Manual Mystery
From: "John P. New" <jnew@hazelden.ca>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 11:12:47 -0400
Patton,

It is very common to avoid the use of the capital letter "I" in section
labels or parts numbers in the BMC publications, and many other
publications as well.

I believe this is to avoid confusion between the number "1" and the
capital letter "I", which look identical or almost so in many typefaces.

For example, in the BJ7/8 Parts List, there is only _one_ use of a
capital "I" in over 4,000 part numbers, and, as in the Workshop manual,
there are no sections labelled with "I" either.

John P. New
--
London, Ontario, Canada
'67 BJ8