RE: Rear hub studs and nut

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Rear hub studs and nut
From: "BJ8Healeys" <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 13:23:30 -0700
Long, long ago, approaching a city far, far away I felt the rear end of the
car had got a bit squirrely.  Investigation through the spokes determined
that the hub nuts had backed off.  Before I caught it, some of the threads
had been worn off the studs by the loose hub adapter.  After tightening up
the nuts we made it home, but some time later I started hearing unusual
noises from the wheel and found the nuts loose again.

The original problem was probably caused by reusing the self-locking nuts
too many times, or not torquing them to the correct value.  Although I
replaced the nuts with new ones, I still would occasionally hear noises when
the wheel was turning slowly, and I knew it was time to re-torque the nuts.
After a couple cycles of this, it was obvious that I needed to replace the
studs as well as the nuts.  One of the studs broke off as I was removing the
nut, probably due to the Lok-Tite I used last time.

By the way, I've never had a problem with the studs/nuts on the right side
wheel.  The hub has never loosened, the studs have never worn, but I did
replace the nuts on that side, too.  Tomorrow, I'll be making sure that I've
torqued the right-side nuts to 70 lb-ft.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC  USA