Re: 1961 Lenham GT coupe info needed

To: "Tracy Drummond" <bighealey@charter.net>,
Subject: Re: 1961 Lenham GT coupe info needed
From: "Chris Dimmock" <cd3000@bigpond.net.au>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 01:19:02 +1000
Hi Tracy,

Are you researching any Lenham Coupe in particular?

The Lenham Coupe body came in 2 derivatives - an early one, and a late one.
The 'early' one didn't have rear side quarter windows - the later ones did.
Personally - the earlier ones were much better looking than the later ones.

It looked like an E-type from the front  - and a bit like a Datsun Z car
(Kamm tail) from the rear. You could just put the Fibreglass Lenham Coupe
body on your Sprite in the 1960's.

I used to own a Lenham coupe - BJP 747 (Australian Rego) - it was known as
FLY - as the original UK rego was 152-FLY.

FLY which was featured in Australian sportscar world magazine in May 1973
(before I owned it). FLY was more than just a 'rebodied' Sprite. I owned FLY
from about 1983 - 1995 or thereabouts

FLY was a MkII sprite (until about 1967), then the Lenham Coupe body was
fitted, along with a 1600cc Ford engine, twin webers, and a ford gearbox -
in the UK. It came back to Australia with Paul Cockburn who built it in
England. Around 1975 it was fitted with MKIII Sprite wind up windows &
windscreen.

It went like...... well you can guess.....

The Lenham Motor company also produced a 100 based body that made a 100 look
more like a Silverstone, than a 100, as well as MGB Coupe bodies etc.

There was a while there where all my cars had webers......

:)

Best

Chris Dimmock
Sydney Australia