Re: engine noise - progress at last

To: <fmags@cox.net>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: engine noise - progress at last
From: "Rich C" <richchrysler@quickclic.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 18:10:44 -0400
Frank,
You might want to check out all 12 tappets (cam followers), not just 6. They
are notorious for eventually wearing through the .003" case hardening and
then eroding themselves and the cam lobe. If they are rotating around
slightly you can end up with quiet clearances one minute, and noisy
excessive clearance the next. Your marvel Mystery Oil is just doing a
temporary cover up. Check out the real problem before you chew up your cam
lobes.

Another place to check is the rocker arms themselves where they contact the
valve stems. These arms can become concave due to wear and give you a false
reading with the feeler gauge. If this is the case, the rocker arms will
need to be redressed with a machine shop grinder.

Rich Chrysler