Re: Lucas 25D6 distributor

To: "Healey forum" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Lucas 25D6 distributor
From: "Chris Dimmock" <cd3000@bigpond.net.au>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 03:09:58 +1000
Some history...

Fuel injected BMC A series engines, which reved to nearly 10,000 rpm in
Formula cars in the late 1960's, used Lucas 23D (i.e. non vacuum advance
version of the Lucas 25D) distributors. The Healey 3000 works cars at
Sebring in 1965 also used a 6 cyl version of the Lucas 23D. Exactly the same
as your 25D6 - but no vacuum advance (there is no where to connect a vacuum
advance when you have fuel injection or triple webers anyway.)

Not to mention the earlier Formula 3 Coopers - like the Cooper T72 BMC which
a Scottish bloke called Jackie Stewart drove pretty successfully for Ken
Tyrrell in the 1964 European Formula 3 season. BMC A series power - Lucas
distributor.

The Lucas 23D/25D series of distributors (4 and 6 cylinder, as found in
Sprites & late 3000's) aren't actually as bad as everyone makes out. Nothing
wrong with a rebuilt Lucas distributor, correctly graphed to your engine,
running points. People have been doing using them for years.

Of course most mechanical things over 40 years old need a rebuild. Didn't
most of the rest of the car?

Best

Chris