Re: paint colors

To: "Tom Householder" <trhouse@greenapple.com>
Subject: Re: paint colors
From: "Rich C" <richchrysler@quickclic.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 15:19:16 -0400
Hi Tom and all,

The problem with period colour formulas is that those paints and pigments
are no longer available so we have to come up with corresponding colour
matches by eyeball. Even the moden spectrographic analysis rarely can come
up with reasonably accurate shades. I tend to make the final decisions
simply by eye, outdoors in natural daylight.

Also note that even though in 1959 the Healey was being final assembled
along side the MG products at Abingdon, the painting of the healeys was
taking place at Jensen Bros. using paint colours specific to the big Healey.
meanwhile the MG products were mostly being painted far away at Cowley using
their specific paint colours.

This is not to say that the statement "you could order any colour on a
Healey as long as you pay for it" is untrue, but it would have been recorded
on the build sheet and BMIHT doccumentation would state it for that specifc
special ordered car.

Rich Chrysler