Re: Does it get any better?

To: "Greg Lemon" <glemon@neb.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Does it get any better?
From: "Alan Seigrist Blue 100" <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 18:53:04 +0800
Yesterday was the  Hong Kong Classic Club Car show, which I displayed my '52
A90 Atlantic Sports Saloon.  It was actually quite a show favorite, everyone
thought it was very unusual, but attractive.

Of course the best car by a country mile was Michael Kadoorie's 1912 Rolls
Royce Silver Ghost which got best in show.  It was a lock... it won at
Pebble Beach only two years ago... the only difference this time was it had
just recently done a 2,000 mile rally.  Still looked brand new.

If you recall your car history, this was the famous RR that established
itself as the best car in the world at the time.  I think it was originally
based on a British military specification for an armoured gun car.  Only 5
were made and this one went to a Maharaja in India to be used for tiger
hunting.  It later found its way to Australia where Michael found it in a
thousand rusty pieces in some barn about 4 years ago.  A beautiful
restoration I have to say.

Best in Show -  1912 RR
Best Convertible - 1959 MGA (it was perfect)
Best Saloon - '57(?) BMW Isetta Microcar.  There were some grumblings that
'how can a saloon have only one door'.  It was very clean nonetheless!
Most Desirable Car (people's choice) - '82 Lambo Countach

Here's a picture of Kadoorie's Rolls Royce at Pebble Beach:

http://concours.smugmug.com/keyword/rolls%20royce/1/7563800/Large

Don't let the photo trick you... the car is huge... with a straight 6
7.5-liter engine!

No Austin Healeys this year simply because I decided to display the Atlantic
this time.  My Healey's paint job is starting to show it's 20 years.... :-(

Cheers,

Alan

'52 A90
'53 BN1