RE: Sunday Funny, was Re:Crank and Rods (bluenoses hit

To: "'Richard Hosmer'" <rahosmer@citlink.net>,
Subject: RE: Sunday Funny, was Re:Crank and Rods (bluenoses hit
From: "Michael Salter" <msalter@precisionsportscar.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2006 20:23:38 -0500
In reality the maximum RPM of any engine is limited by the load on the rod
bearings. A 3000 cylinder engine has a stroke to bore ratio of 1.066 but the
reciprocating assembly is pretty heavy. The engine only has 4 main bearings
so I reality trying to obtain a sustained RPM on excess of 5500 is indeed
going to require the injection of some very expensive bits.

I'm sure there are people out there who have managed to build engines which
will pull 6500 reliably but in my experience the torque starts to drop off
very quickly after 5000 and trying to pull more is very much a case of
diminishing returns.

In addition to this you are approaching 3500 ft/min mean piston speed at
6000 RPM and after that you are definitely going to need some much thinner
rings than 0.145".

As people have said before the strength of both the 4 and 6 cylinder Austin
engines is in their torque and that is, after all, what moves you.

Michael Salter

www.precisionsportscar.com