Re: brake fluid resevoir

To: "healeymanjim@joimail.com" <healeymanjim@joimail.com>
Subject: Re: brake fluid resevoir
From: Dave & M <rusd@velocitus.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 21:59:54 -0700
Jim,

This "fix" has been around for quite a while.

If you use a "HELP! #42072" master cylinder gasket on the lid, SEAL it's tiny
top slit
with JB Weld, & leave the vent hole in the metal cover OPEN - It will function
just like a
modern sealed brake system. This gasket is available at most auto parts stores
& is
nominally for 1987 to 1994 GM cars.

The vent hole in the metal cap lets the accordion type sealed gasket flex to
allow fluid
to leave or enter the reservoir while completely sealing the can from leaks &
from outside
air/moisture entry to the system.

I have been using this gasket for a couple of years, not a sign of fluid
leakage around
the top cap & no damage to standard lacquer paint on the cap & can. Even the
original
Girling decal stays perfect.

Regards,
Dave Russell