Re: BJ8 glazing rubber

To: "P.J.Aeckerlin" <j.aeckerlin@tiscali.nl>, Healey List
Subject: Re: BJ8 glazing rubber
From: Earl Kagna <kags@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 17:20:35 -0800
Jack:

Here's what I believe to be correct:  (although I have seen it done all
possible ways)

The glazing rubber installation is in 2 pieces - the long one goes from one
upper corner around the bottom to the other upper corner, so that there is
no seam at the bottom corners (they'll probably leak anyway!).  The upper
ends are trimmed off straight across, and the top rubber is cut to cover the
trimmed ends with enough overlap to apply a bit of pressure to the trimmed
ends when the frame hardware is fully tightened.  This seems to be the
tidiest way at the upper corners.

When I first replaced my BJ8 windshield glass many years ago, this is how I
found it done, and I was pretty certain at the time that it was the original
installation from the factory.  I did at least 2 glass replacements on the
car the same way since, and will do it again when the car is in final
assembly.

We'll probably hear from you again when you get to fitting the windshield
frame to shroud seal - one of the truly ugly Healey jobs.

Having fun yet?

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BT7 tri-carb