Pistons damaged

To: "healey" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Pistons damaged
From: "Freese, Ken" <Kendall.Freese@Aerojet.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 07:11:57 -0800
Saturday, I removed the head from my BJ8 to have steel valve seats
installed because of #4 exhaust valve recession and low compression. I
figured #4 was now burned enough, I should get it fixed. After putting
on the hardtop on New Years, I could hear rougher running.
Now I see that #2, 3, and 4 pistons have 1/16 to 1/8 inch notches
missing and I can see the top ring on #4. Preliminary inspection of the
notches don't show smooth melting. So, new set of problems. I figure the
causes are:
1. Swallowed debris
2. Detonation
3. Defective pistons
Incidental facts:
A - oil never filtered only changed for about the past 40000 miles due
to faulty spin on filter adapter.
B - last rebuild in 1982 and 70000 miles ago due to melted pistons
Compression 1997  Compression 2004
Compression 2007
165                     130
110
155                     135
90
150                     145
70
150                     90
70
155                     130
115
175                     150
145

Any thoughts on the cause until the pistons are actually out?
Ken Freese
65 BJ8