Annual Overdrive Problem

To: "'Healey List'" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Annual Overdrive Problem
From: "Simon Lachlan" <simon.lachlan@homecall.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 16:31:05 -0000
God, I hate these overdrives. I could do with some advice.
I thought I could figure these things out, but I seem to be going round in
as many circles as the current in a functioning overdrive.

So, the symptoms:-
I sit in the car, engine off, gear lever in neutral with o/d in off
position. I then engage o/d and as soon as I just touch the accelerator
pedal I hear the solenoid's healthy clunk. (That's it coming on, right? I've
thought so much and fiddled about so much I've got myself completely turned
around!).
Push down on pedal..no further noise. Ease off until pedal is virtually
fully up, per above, I hear the clunk again. This makes for interesting
times on the motorway.

Eliminated so far, I think:-
1) Mechanical options....the mechanics are virtually brand new with plenty
of clean oil and it happens with engine running or not.
2) The dash board switch checks out OK.
3) The relay bench tests OK. (12 volts across terminals W1 & W2.  The coil
operates and there is solid continuity between terminals C1 & C2 when it
operates.)  Contacts within are clean and make good strong contact.
4) The system is fused and that's, obviously, OK.
5) There are no apparent wiring issues.

Main suspect is the throttle switch, though it - apparently - checks out
fine. I took it out and tested it. I got continuity on the meter where I
assumed the cam was on the lobe and no reading when I assumed it was on the
flat. (Note the use of "assumed".)

So, advice please. Am going away for a week off tomorrow, back to Ireland
without car which would dissolve in the rain). Thus grateful replies to the
torrent of advice may not be too prompt. But, I'm here now!

Simon.