Overdrive snafu revisited

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Overdrive snafu revisited
From: "Simon Lachlan" <simon.lachlan@homecall.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 19:56:07 -0000
I have been over in N.Ireland for a week, so have only just caught up with
the thread that I started re the above.

Thanks again for all your help and continued interest.

I left the issue by saying that I thought that the throttle switch and the
relay were borderline cases for replacement, despite my having opened them
up, bench tested and generally titivated them.

I had another go at throttle switch adjustment this afternoon, using meter
and as much patience as I could muster.

I marveled at the recurring fault that I could set it with the meter and
watch the needle do what it should whilst depressing the throttle by hand,
yet, when I sat in the cab and used my foot, the bloody thing behaved
differently. Not much, but enough.

I tried thinking it through. I can think if I have to. Not as clearly as I
might, but I try. After some thought, I went back to the engine end of
things and watched the linkage between carbs and throttle switch.

It became obvious that the throttle switch was executing about half its
contacts closed portion of the cycle before the pedal movement started to
move the actual linkage at the three carbs.

I looked for slop in the system and found it:-

1) Where the spindle assembly (no.75 on page A.22) hooks into the linkage
near the rear carb. This is the metal rod, about 6 in long, which goes into
the bulkhead at one end and the linkage at the other. It connects with the
pedal linkage and thus translates foot pressure into revs.

2) The link  throttle switch (no.46 on page N.4) is flexing ever so
slightly prior to it engaging and moving the carb linkage.

I only have 2 of the 3 springs fitted which hold the carbs in the no
throttle position, these being the main thing that the above link would
have to fight against.

It occurs to me that the spindle assembly linkage/attachment is a fairly
dire piece of design. Cheap and sloppy. The rod had about = in vertical play
possible before the split pin stops it falling. I thought about putting a
thread on the vertical portion and with a washer and nut holding the spindle
assembly tight and fixed to the carbs linkage.

The above is just to advise. Hardly a great breakthrough, but part of an
explanation.

Any thoughts re getting the slop out would be welcome. Anyone done it
before?

I dont want to put in the Cape type wire linkage.

There is no play/slop at the bulkhead end of the spindle.

Any thoughts on the thread and nut scheme?

Or replacing or stiffening the link??

Simon.