Shock tower repair

To: healeylist <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Shock tower repair
From: Bob Haskell <rchaskell@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 12:04:33 -0400
Listers,

When I took my front shocks off the car, I found one of the nuts wasn't
attached to the top plate.  Brent Porter brought his TIG welder over and
was able to re-weld the nut to the plate.  The first step was to cut a
couple of vee grooves 180 degrees apart in the top plate to expose a bit
more of the nut for welding.  Then a bolt was threaded down through the nut
till the bolt bottomed on the spring perch and brought the nut tight up
against the top plate.  Rotated the nut so two corners of the hexagon were
under the vee grooves.  Welded the pieces together - filling in the vee
grooves.  Removed the bolt and added two more tacks 90 degrees from the
first welds.  Ran a tap through the nut, filed the TIG welds flat, added a
bit of paint and installed the shock.  Took longer to do the setup than to
do the repair.

Thanks Brent.

Bob