Re: O/D BJ8

To: Tom Felts <tomfelts@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: O/D BJ8
From: Dave & M <rusd@sitestar.net>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2007 17:55:22 -0600
Hi Tom,

I'm not sure that you really want to get into the accumulator. It will
require some very delicate work & maybe making  a special tool or two.

The accumulator is beneath the small side cover on the OD housing. To
remove the cover, remove the solenoid arm, the solenoid, the front two
bolts, & sequentially release the remaining two nuts a turn or two at
a time. There is a very heavy accumulator spring under this cover.

With the cover & spring - springs removed, remove the accumulator
piston with it's sealing rings.  Some models had piston rings, later
ones had O rings. There is also an outer accumulator housing/adapter
which is sealed by O rings.

If you successfully get the piston & housing out, these seals can all
be replaced. With very careful reassembly, you "might" get everything
back together & working. Unless you are really adventurous or
desperate, I suggest that you leave this project to someone with
experience.

There is really no guarantee that replacing the accumulator seals will
cure the problem. There are several other possible causes of the problem.

You can find most of a very good "how to" on the type A overdrive here:
http://web.archive.org/web/20031212073359/www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/AOD/AOD1/AOD1.htm

Good luck,
Dave Russell
BN2