coils

To: "healeys" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: coils
From: "James Shope" <healeymanjim@hansencc.net>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 20:34:08 -0700
during a trip to our monthly car club meeting, one of our members bj8 quit a
couple of miles from the meeting place.  i was dipatched to see what the
problem was and quickly determined the coil was totally kaputt.  no spark
coming out. the coil was one of those sport coils they sell from moss, etc.
it was only a few years old.  do they go bad faster than regular coils, and
main question, what is there to go bad in a coil.  my old coil dated 1966 is
still sparking along, so i am wondering if there is something to the sport
coil not being right for the old system?  healeymanjim