Fw: overdrive problem

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: overdrive problem
From: "David Ward" <david@bighealey.ltd.uk>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 20:02:41 +0100
----- Original Message -----
From: David Ward
To: David Ward
Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2007 7:58 PM
Subject: Re: overdrive problem

Hello Richard,
sorry to hear of the problems that you are having with your model A Laycock
overdrive.
>From the way that you describe the symptoms that you are experiencing you have
without doubt a total loss of hydraulic pressure,  as the oil warms up and the
viscosity level drops, the problem becomes even worse.  As the pressure builds
up the overdrive activates and engages, this then drops the pressure to such a
level that the overdrive disengages,  this in one simple word is not doing the
clutch a great deal of good really, so to save this expensive part we had best
come to the reason.
Without doubt the problem lies within the accumulator and it's operating
piston.
You can replace this  with the overdrive unit in situ, when I replaced these
withdraw the accumulator and it's operating piston, I found that a large pair
of circlip pliers to be ideal it "may" only require new "O" rings but if you
require the complete unit from memory they are roughly #50-00GBP  [ $100US ]
Even better idea is to go obtain the complete assembly out of a MK11 Jaguar
overdrive, these had the large piston and they will come in much faster.
Also if you desire to disengage the overdrive much quicker as you operate the
electrical switch simply open up the small hole in the side of the operating
valve push rod, this will allow the overdrive unit to "dump" the oil much
faster.
GOOD LUCK.

Kindest Regards.
David.