RE: The search for my folks' 1960 BT7

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: The search for my folks' 1960 BT7
From: "BJ8Healeys" <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 05:11:18 -0700
Hi, Bill -
We see questions like that on the list once in a while, but we don't see the
are in answering such questions, but I'd like to take this opportunity for
shameless promotion of the BJ8 registry to say that the registry is able
occasionally to locate cars for former owners, and to help current owners
trace the ownership history of their cars.

Just last week the California owner of a BJ8 back in the '70s inquired about
HBJ8L/40183.  He and his dad restored it in the early '70s, he sold it in
1977, and he had been searching unsuccessfully for it since his father died
in 1990, with only the CA license plate number to go on.  He finally
determined the VIN from his insurance company's archives, passed it to me,
and I had a record of the current owner in Wilmington, NC -- only about 80
miles from me.  The former owner and the current owner are now in contact.
At the moment, there are two other former owners searching for their cars,
and I am working on it (they don't yet have VINs, but have provided other
clues that will take some research).

This can only happen when there is a registry keeping track of the cars.  I
say this for the benefit of those BJ8 owners on the list who, for whatever
reason, are reluctant to have a record of the VIN of their car associated
with their name.  Anyone who can see the potential benefits of doing so (and
there are no negatives) and who would not object to being contacted by the
owner of their car 10 or 15 (or 30?) years from now, can provide the details
requested at http://www.britishcarforum.com/bj8quest.html

Thanks, and Happy Healeying!
Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666