Re:   V1 #1939

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re:   V1 #1939
From: Editorgary@aol.com
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 14:48:14 EDT
In a message dated 5/14/07 11:27:40 AM, owner-healeys-digest@autox.team.net
writes:

> Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 20:29:30 -0400
> From: John Sims <ahbn6@optonline.net>
> Subject: RE: Confused - ZDDP and our oils
>
> And, isn't all of this crying out for a definitive article from one of our
> two magazines, even if the covers get torn and the local mailman reads it
> first?
>
> I for one am dizzy reading all of this stuff from the various web sites and
> we need something clean and simple.
>
> John Sims, BN6
> Aberdeen, NJ

Try Austin-Healey Magazine February 2007 issue -- So far I haven't read
anything in the latest set of exchanges that suggests any need for revision in
what
was written, with the possible exception of the recent note concerning two
different formulations for Valvoline Racing Oil. Boils down to:
l. Use 20W-50 oil in your street Healey with a fully broken-in engine.
2. Check with your cam source if you're rebuilding your own engine and follow
their recommendations, which should include a moly paste applied to the cam
and lifters during assembly, and then use of an oil specifically formulated for
running-in an engine with new cam and lifters for the first hour of
operation, changed out and then run for the first 500 miles with the same oil.
3. Ask your engine rebuilder about ZDDP as it affects his break-in
procedures, and if he doesn't know what you're talking about, find a different
engine
rebuild. (The fellow rebuilding my MGA race engine, btw, is using Turco rebuild
paste and oil, and then we'll be running Valvoline, Redline, or Turco racing
oil after that because of the high rpm and intermitten use.) I'm continuing to
use Castrol GTX 20W-50 in my Healey.
YMMV.
Cheers
Gary