Re: Slick 50

To: John Soderling <jsoderling@astound.net>
Subject: Re: Slick 50
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2007 08:31:59 -0700
This is an interesting--and provocative--article.  One thing not
mentioned, however,
is the fact that all the "name" oils, and even the cheapies, add ZDDP
(motorcycle oils
add even more).  I gotta believe the manufacturers wouldn't blend in a
relatively
expensive--and difficult to handle--additive unless they see some real
value.  They
only started lowering the ZDDP level for environmental concerns (then
spun it as
"extra emissions system protection" ;).

My understanding of ZDDP's effects is that it protects at the margin,
when the
film of oil breaks through and there is metal-to-metal contact, which
you'd only
likely see at very high shear points (like cam-to-lifter).   It's kind
of a "last resort"
protection; if you don't have it and you get metal-to-metal
contact--even for an
instant--you can get microscopic pitting of the cam and lifter
surfaces.  Over time,
that turns into spalling and bingo, the few thousandth's of hardened
surface are gone,
and so's your cam/lifters.

bs