Re:Bagging

To: "jerry adams" <cjerryadams@yahoo.com>, "Robert Blair"
Subject: Re:Bagging
From: "Tom Felts" <tomfelts@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 18:14:18 -0400
Just a silly question-------if the covers hang up in the PO machine, what
are the chances the plastic bag will.  B4 going with this idea, it might be
a good idea to find out what the damage rate is with the plastic vs w/o it.

Schneider the membership person.  However I counted the members listed in
the 2006 Membership Directory this last weekend.  There are 3820 members
listed.  Beth Lunney the Publisher/Printer will print more than that, for
replacement copies, samples and exchanges the Club is involved in.
>   The $6000 mentioned by Reid and others is an old number and has
probably increased.  The Club delegates, when they hear that figure
probably go into sticker shock.  I do the same thing here at work, when I
am asked to price the cost of a project that I think is not necessary, I
state a cost (may or may not be excessive) and not break down the numbers
it then kind of dies on the vine.  However when I want a project to go then
the cost is broken down to cost per unit, the benefit is stressed and I
have the money to spend.  The break down for 3820 members and $6000 cost is
$1.57 per member per year.  A modest increase in dues would cover this
cost.  Someone mentioned on the list a $5.00 increase would cover this
cost, a $2.00 increase would do.  Someone on the list said that he would
not pay a $5.00 increase so maybe a $2.00 increase would be OK.
>   Reid does a great job on the magazine.  He has increased the content
and quality and it's a shame that some of us don't get what we are paying
for.  I had five issues in 2005, six issues in 2006 and two issues so for
this year that have had some damage.  One issue in 2005 had the cover half
torn off.  I have complained to the local post office but they say that
they don't have any automated equipment and they will 'report' the problem
and that the magazine should be put in an envelope.
>   I am sure Beth delivers the magazines to the nearest post office, the
magazine says postage paid @ Charlotte, NC and the magazine starts the
automated sorting process there.  They then go to other
sorting/distribution centers around the country through more automated
equipment until some of us get a very beat up magazine.
>   Bottom line, because of the automated sorting equipment in some of the
distribution centers  that is causing most of the problem, bagging the
magazine is best option even if cost the members a little more in dues.