Re: Radiator Shroud

To: "Healey List" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Radiator Shroud
From: "M Lempert" <mlempert@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2007 11:48:51 -0400
Folks:  I just responded to someone and elaborated on my problem. I thought
it might be good to share the whole problem that I'm dealing with just in
case anyone has an idea of what's going on.  Here's the mess I've got:

I'm a bit bewildered and frustrated.
I've been through a number of attempts to fix this problem to no avail.
I've had a bad cooling problem with the BN2.  Although it's not an
M, I do have a louvered bonnet.  Going back before recent changes, I ran
with no problems while moving at most any speed - as long as I was moving.
The moment I stopped I could see the temp rising and it would go way up if I
couldn't get moving again.  I took the radiator out and had it sent
somewhere (?) for a re-core.  While it was out (late coming back) I needed
to use the car, so I installed the stock radiator from my BN7. It fit with
some minor bracket work. I had to drill a hole in the top for the temp
gauge.  The car ran cool with that radiator even at standstill.  This pretty
much confirmed my suspicion that the problem had been with the original
radiator.

When I got the re-core back I installed it and the cooling problems returned
as before.  I didn't do anything as I had a problem with the engine and the
car has sat for the best part of two years.  Just last week I had a "new"
engine installed. New everything, including water pump.  Took it for a ride
and same thing - temp would rise immediately at stand still.  Very
disturbing.

My first reaction was to condemn the radiator and the work that had been
performed ($350). Yesterday I started thinking about it and wondered if it's
actually a different problem now, but having the same symptoms.  I'm
wondering if the increased number of rows in the core are now not being
cooled enough by fan draw.  The fan arrangement (by the way, I have a Texas
Cooler) seems very inefficient with nothing around the fan to prevent air
being drawn from the sides instead of through the radiator. I suppose this
is possible if the core now requires more draw because of its thickness.  Of
course I'm guessing all of this.  I thought I might try a shroud before
condemning the radiator again.

Any thoughts ?

Regards,
Mike Lempert