RE: Rear seals won't seal BT7

To: Tracy Drummond <bighealey@charter.net>
Subject: RE: Rear seals won't seal BT7
From: Ray Juncal <healeyray@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2007 15:26:48 -0700 (PDT)
Tracy
    I have studied your diagrams and am fluent in stick figure drawings but I
don't think I get the drift.
Ray
Sorry I couldn't help myself.

Tracy Drummond <bighealey@charter.net> wrote: OK.  The breather was not
clogged.  In looking closely at the factory manual
it seems that the oil seal should go in flat side first so the spring (open
end) faces outward.  Now this looks like it would be tough to drift in but
the manual calls for a special tool (of course) that fits closly to the
outside rim of the seal.

Can someone verify that the oil seals go in flat side first?  Perhaps I have
been drifting them in backwards?

Here is an attempt to describe visually what I am trying to verify.

I have been doing it this way
Hub
 _|
|  ] seal (flat side out)

|_ ]   < -- drifting in this way

Picture in manual shows this way (it looks)
Hub
 _|
|  [ seal (flat side in)

|_ [   < -- drifting in this way

So in the second diagram it seems I would need to drift in the seal appling
pressure on only the outermoast little metal part of the seal.

Aint this fun !

Tracy Drummond                  Gang Warily !
President AHCUSA              www.healey.org
VP/Events Director GGAHC  www.goldengatehealeys.com

 in the all-new Yahoo! Mail Beta.